Korea 2013

My goodness – it’s been 2 weeks since my last post! I didn’t think it had been that long. When things get busy, I tend to procrastinate on updating my blog… but this time, I’ve taken the procrastination a little too far. My apologies!

My last post was right after Christmas, which means I need to catch you up on New Year’s Eve, our trip to Costco, the programs we’ve had the last 2 weeks, and the flu I’ve had this week.

New Year’s Eve: Since we had to work every day, including New Year’s day, I didn’t make it too late of a night. The owner of the pub had a party for us with some free food (dumplings and seafood pancakes) and a LOT of people showed up. I had to do Cinema English, so I got there around 9:00pm and it hadn’t gotten too crowded yet. As it got later, more and more people showed up, and we all had a great time just talking and mingling. When midnight came, we counted down and then wished each other a happy new year, and then the crowd quickly started to thin out as people left. I stayed until 1:00am and then had to call it quits because I didn’t want to suffer the next day (another 12-hour day). Glenn stayed until about 2:30am, I think. The rest of the week was fine; Glenn and I are in Special Programs, so we aren’t having to deal with the intensity of VIP, and that week we had 2 different elementary groups, 1 middle school group, and 1 high school group. They were small classes, though, and I averaged about 4 hours of teaching per day (Glenn was still shadowing at that point so he didn’t get any devo time).

That weekend, we ended up staying in (if I remember correctly). The miserably cold temperature outside kills any motivation to go out unless absolutely necessary. Since December, daily temperatures have AVERAGED -23 degrees Celsius (about -10 degrees Fahrenheit), with the couple of days reaching 0 degrees actually feeling warm. Glenn and I keep joking that we should go back to Canada to escape the cold!

Last week, we had a really small program for SP (Special Programs) and we taught only 2-3 hours a day, with tons of devo time. Glenn used it to learn Korean (he can read it now) and I got sucked into playing Scrabble online. Glenn is still getting used to the fact that we get paid to have free time on the job!

Last Thursday, we went to Costco to stock up on a few things. We went with 3 bags and ended up having to buy a fourth just to get everything home. Since I’ve been spending almost quadruple what I was spending before on groceries, and because half of our purchases at Costco were his beer, wine, coffee, and blender for his protein shakes, Glenn agreed to pay the bill this time. Little did he know, it would total $400. It took him a couple of days to come to terms with how much he had spent there.

This past weekend, I came down with the flu. It’s been going around EV, and as soon as I felt the tickle of a sore throat forming Saturday morning, I knew that I had caught it. (With my history of sore throats, and my last one being in October, I was due for another one. I just didn’t think it would turn into the flu this time.) Glenn and I had had big plans for Seoul over the weekend, but obviously, they didn’t pan out when I fell ill. I think he rather enjoyed being lazy and doing nothing, though. I spent the weekend sleeping and watching internet TV, trying to fight off the sickness before it got worse… but little did I know, the worse was yet to come. Monday, in addition to having a horribly sore throat and fatigue, I was coughing, sneezing, and had body aches. Tuesday was the worst of it: everything I already mentioned times 10, plus nausea (I slept 14 hours straight Monday night to Tuesday morning, and would have kept sleeping if Glenn hadn’t come home and woken me up for lunch). Don’t worry; I called in sick both days. A lot of people – I dare say half of EV – has experienced the same thing, and too many people have been calling in sick every day, and that means it’s been a slightly busier week for everyone since we’re having to cover peoples’ classes. Today, Wednesday, I was able to go to work and managed to sneak in a 2-hour afternoon nap before my last class of the day. I am so grateful to have a job that allows such a thing! I’m also grateful that we’ve got adults this week (Korean, Japanese, Thai, and Russian English teachers) and that I don’t have to waste any energy on discipline.

Glenn is really enjoying working with the teachers, just as I’ve always enjoyed working with adults back in the US. He’s even going beyond his teaching duties and has volunteered the past 2 nights to join them for their evening activity (it isn’t paid, like it is when you ‘volunteer’ to do the evening activities with kids). The thing is, though, as great as he is at teaching adults, he’s been just as great with the elementary, middle school, and high school kids. Teaching is so natural to him – he truly has a gift.

We’re hoping to FINALLY make it into Seoul this coming weekend to get phones, heat tech (like long johns), and for Glenn to try some real Korean food! Keep your fingers crossed that we will both be healthy by then.

I will be better about posting more often, and I will take some more pictures soon. Until then, I hope you’re keeping warmer than we are!

Gallery | This entry was posted in South Korea. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Korea 2013

  1. zimzimmie1 says:

    Sorry you were sick, I’m slowly recovering from the flu-ish thing going around here, too. 😦 Be glad Glenn didn’t catch it too! One of you has to stay functional at all times 😉

  2. Bri says:

    Yay, so excited to read from you again 🙂 and happen u’re feeling better!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s